Padres send Ohlendorf to Triple-A

Padres send Ohlendorf to Triple-A

Padres send Ohlendorf to Triple-A
SAN DIEGO -- After being knocked around for 14 runs in just 5 1/3 innings in his last two starts, Ross Ohlendorf was optioned to Triple-A Tucson, where he will start Wednesday night. The move came after a Friday night outing in which the 30-year-old righty was shelled for eight runs on six hits in just 2 1/3 innings.

"It wasn't anything in particular," Padres manager Bud Black said of Ohlendorf's recent struggles. "Just the ball not really driven down in the zone, ball trying to get on the corner just didn't get there. When he's missing a lot of deep counts ... that makes it awful hard."

Black hasn't announced his choice to replace Ohlendorf in the rotation -- though he says he does have a choice in mind. In terms of filling Ohlendorf's spot on the 25-man roster, the Padres opted to recall righty Nick Vincent from Tucson in order to give them eight arms in the bullpen in the wake of a four-game run of poor starting pitching.

"We need a little bit of reinforcement to help the guys [in the 'pen]," Black said. "We've talked about our starting pitching, what that's done to the 'pen -- we needed another guy."

Ohlendorf had been pitching with the Red Sox's Triple-A affiliate prior to being signed to a Major League contract by the Padres on June 4. He made 13 appearances for San Diego, nine of them starts, and was 4-4 with a 7.58 ERA. This is Ohlendorf's sixth Major League season with his third different team (Yankees, Pirates).

Ohlendorf was one of a handful of veteran starters brought in by San Diego to fill holes left when several members of their projected rotation fell to injury. Others included Kip Wells (also in Tucson), Jeff Suppan (released June 6), Jason Marquis and Saturday's starter, Eric Stults. Marquis has made the most starts of that group with 21.