SAN DIEGO -- Left-hander Clayton Richard is still bothered by an intestinal virus that sent him to the 15-day disabled list earlier this week, but he's not letting it get in the way of his work.
Richard threw a long toss session before Wednesday's game against the Marlins and then threw in the bullpen.
"I feel better that I'm able to get my work in," Richard said. "But we don't want this thing to go the other way."
Richard has been troubled for nearly three weeks by an intestinal virus that caused him to miss a start in San Francisco on April 20 and then dogged him in three starts he made thereafter, when he went 0-3 with a 13.09 ERA.
Richard has had medical tests done this week as the team goes about trying to find answers for what is ailing him, and why he hasn't been able to kick the virus by now, one that initially caused him to lose 12 pounds.
"[The doctors] think there's an underlying issue in my digestive tract," Richard said.
Richard is scheduled to have a colonoscopy on Friday in San Diego, though he'll join the team during its three-game series against the Rays that starts that same day in Florida.
"He will throw over the weekend and we'll determine where he's at physically," said Padres manager Bud Black.