SAN DIEGO -- Everth Cabrera is eligible to come off the disabled list on July 2, and the Padres are hopeful that their dynamic shortstop will be ready to do so.
Cabrera was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 17 with a mild strain in his left hamstring that happened while he was trying to steal a base.
Cabrera has been taking batting practice, and he could begin running the bases and fielding by this weekend.
"He's doing much better," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He's going to travel with us out east and get on the field, doing running, fielding. We'll see what happens Friday and Saturday and go from there."
The Padres haven't determined whether Cabrera will need to play in any rehab games before joining the club.
"We think there's a possibility that he may come off the disabled list on that 16th day," Black said.
Cabrera had been the Padres best hitter, and one of the best players in the National League, before his injury. He was hitting .305 with four homers, 31 stolen bases (tied for the league lead at the time) and a .382 on-base percentage.
Jamal Collier is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.