"I've talked to guys who have gone and haven't gone. It wasn't that bad."
Earlier Saturday, it was determined that Cashner won his case and will make $2.4 million in 2014 after the team offered $2.275 million.
"I'm definitely glad to have it done and over with," said Cashner, who is represented by CAA. "It's been going on for a while."
The hearing was in St. Petersburg on Thursday. Cashner then flew across the country later in the day in order to be at FanFest.
The $125,000 difference between Cashner's filing and the team's counteroffer was the smallest among all arbitration filings this offseason.
Cashner shined in his first full season as a starter, going 10-9 with a 3.09 ERA in 31 games (26 starts). He got better as the season went on, posting a 2.25 ERA in August and a 0.76 mark in the last month of the season, which included a near no-hitter against the Pirates.
Overall, Cashner ranked 10th in the National League in ERA (3.04) among starters with at least 25 starts. He was named the team's Pitcher of the Year by the San Diego BBWAA chapter after the season.
The last time the Padres went to arbitration with a player was with infielder Todd Walker in 2007. They also lost that case.
As for Cashner, he said he's ready to build off his first full season as a starter with the Padres. The team hasn't announced an Opening Day starter, but he'll likely merit heavy consideration.
Pitchers and catchers report to Arizona for the start of Spring Training on Thursday.
"I'm ready to get going," Cashner said.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. Keep track of @FollowThePadres on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.