Alonso officially placed on disabled list

Alonso officially placed on disabled list

SAN DIEGO -- First baseman Yonder Alonso was placed on the disabled list on Thursday with right hand tendinitis after missing the last two games for San Diego.

Alonso was limited to 334 at-bats in 2013 after a right hand contusion in June sent him to the disabled list. He missed six weeks with the injury before returning in July. Alonso then essentially sat the entire month of September, not getting a single at-bat.

San Diego manager Bud Black said Thursday that this injury is unrelated. And, Black said, there is some reason for encouragement.

"It's a pretty strong case of tendinitis," Black said. "[But] from talking to our hand doctor, Dr. [Lorenzo] Pacelli, he thinks this can turn around very quickly. Hopefully the medicine will take effect quickly."

Alonso is hitting .210 with five home runs, 15 doubles and 22 RBIs in 229 at-bats this season. Prior to Tuesday, he had appeared in every game for San Diego since April 30.

"I think it's cumulative -- this wasn't a one-swing event," Black said. "Some days were better than others. A day off here and there sort of helped him. Overall, it got to the point the last week or so that he just couldn't move the bat through the zone at the end of his swing."

The Padres are expected to split time between right-handed Tommy Medica and newly called-up Jake Goebbert, a lefty who'll be making his Major League debut when he appears in a game.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. Keep track of @FollowThePadres on Twitter. Will Laws is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.