Alonso admits he played in pain for a while

Alonso admits he played in pain for a while

SAN DIEGO - First baseman Yonder Alonso spoke to the media for the first time Friday after being placed on the disabled list with right hand tendinitis.

After playing in every game since April 30, he had missed the team's games against Seattle on Tuesday and Wednesday before the move was made official Thursday.

"It's something I've been dealing with for a while," Alonso said. "I really can't tell you [how much], but it's been affecting me and I kept playing with it."

On Friday, he was wearing a small protective cast on his hand, which he also injured last year. He estimated he likely wouldn't resume hitting in the cage for at least a week.

"Just for right now, just to calm down I want to rest it as much as possible so I can come back strong," Alonso said.

Alonso is hitting .210 with five home runs, 15 doubles and 22 RBIs in 229 at-bats this season. While he's out, newly called up Jake Goebbert and Tommy Medica are expected to split time at first base.

San Diego manager Bud Black said the lefty-hitting Goebbert will make his big league starting debut on Saturday or Sunday against the Dodgers.

Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. Keep track of @FollowThePadres on Twitter.Will Laws is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.